Sunday, September 15, 2013

SMAART Goals

Goal: Make a healthy recipe or two each week
Goal: Post unsuccessful and successful cooking attempts bi-weekly


Recipe #1:
Crockpot Bell Pepper Soup



When looking for a recipe to start with I chose this recipe because it had simple ingredients, would be good for left-overs later in the week, and used a crockpot! I modified the recipe to be vegetarian by using Morningstar veggie crumbles instead of beef and vegetable broth instead of beef broth. The soup was fantastic over rice! I highly recommend!

Recipe #2
Refried Beans


Jake gave me a gallon bag of kidney beans last harvest. Since another harvest season is upon us, i figured I should use up last years bag in preparation for another yield. I love refried beans and have frequently use canned beans in my dinners. Making my own refried beans was a simply choice. I recommend this recipe and pureeing the beans before adding them to the onions! After the batch was done I froze most in an ice cube tray. Now I can defrost small portions for making burritos!


Recipe #3
Honey Oat Granola Bars


Yum Yum Yumm! Endless variety! Instead of buying granola bars at the store I decided to try my hand at homemade! I added dried cherries and cranberries and substituted some applesauce for butter. The bars took way longer in the oven than directions estimated, I cooked them for 30 minutes and they still aren't "brown and bubbly." They still taste and smell delicious. After they cooled, I cut into bars and stored in fridge until snacktime!



No comments:

Post a Comment